01 Jan 1970
Old Money Style vs New Money Style: A Professional Guide
If you are interested in learning about the differences between old money style and new money style, you have come to the right place. In this blog post, we will explore how these two fashion styles reflect different attitudes, values, and lifestyles of people who belong to different social classes. We will also give you some tips on how to achieve either style, depending on your preference.
What is Old Money Style?
Old money style is a term that describes the fashion and lifestyle choices of people who come from wealthy families that have inherited their wealth over generations. These people are often part of the elite or upper class of society, and they tend to value tradition, culture, and refinement.
Old money style is characterized by:
- Classic and timeless fashion choices that are conservative and understated
- High-quality and expensive clothing and accessories that are made from natural materials such as wool, silk, leather, or cashmere
- Preference for traditional and reputable brands and designers that have a long history and heritage
- Minimal use of logos and branding, as they prefer to let the quality and craftsmanship of their clothing speak for themselves
- Emphasis on education, etiquette, and manners, as they are often well-traveled and well-read
- Reserved and formal demeanor, as they avoid drawing attention to themselves or showing off their wealth
Some examples of old money style icons are:
- Kate Middleton, the Duchess of Cambridge
- Ralph Lauren, the fashion designer
- Jackie Kennedy Onassis, the former First Lady of the United States
- Prince Charles, the heir apparent to the British throne
How to Achieve Old Money Style?
If you want to achieve old money style, here are some tips to follow:
- Invest in classic and timeless pieces that can last for years, such as a trench coat, a navy blazer, a cashmere sweater, a white shirt, a pencil skirt, or a pair of loafers
- Choose conservative and muted colors that are easy to mix and match, such as navy, beige, gray, black, or white
- Opt for timeless patterns that add some interest to your outfit, such as houndstooth, plaid, argyle, or stripes
- Accessorize with simple and elegant items that complement your outfit, such as a pearl necklace, a leather belt, a silk scarf, or a watch
- Keep your hair and makeup natural and neat, avoiding anything too flashy or trendy
What is New Money Style?
New money style is a term that describes the fashion and lifestyle choices of people who have recently acquired their wealth through entrepreneurship, entertainment, or other means. These people are often part of the nouveau riche or middle class of society, and they tend to value innovation, novelty, and materialism.
New money style is characterized by:
- Trendy and flashy fashion choices that are bold and ostentatious
- High-end and luxurious clothing and accessories that are made from synthetic materials such as polyester, nylon, or plastic
- Preference for popular and contemporary brands and designers that have a lot of hype and recognition
- Heavy use of logos and branding, as they want to show off their wealth and status symbols
- Emphasis on material possessions and experiences, as they enjoy spending their money on things that make them happy or impress others
- Outgoing and informal demeanor, as they are confident and sociable
Some examples of new money style icons are:
- Kim Kardashian West, the reality TV star and entrepreneur
- Kanye West, the rapper and fashion designer
- Elon Musk, the founder of Tesla and SpaceX
- Kylie Jenner, the youngest self-made billionaire
How to Achieve New Money Style?
If you want to achieve new money style, here are some tips to follow:
- Experiment with different trends and styles that suit your personality and mood
- Choose vibrant and eye-catching colors that stand out from the crowd, such as red, pink, yellow, or green
- Opt for flashy patterns or prints that add some flair to your outfit,
such as animal print,
- Accessorize with flashy and extravagant items that make a statement,
such as oversized sunglasses,
a diamond necklace,
a fur coat,
or a designer bag
- Have fun with your hair and makeup,
trying different styles,
Old money style vs new money style is not just about fashion,
but also about lifestyle,
Both styles have their pros and cons,
it is up to you to decide which one suits you better.
Whether you prefer the classic elegance of old money style or the vibrant energy of new money style,
you can always find inspiration and guidance from the icons and tips we have shared in this blog post.